Vous avez une question ?

Interrogez la communauté

internet & fixe protéger mes données et mon accès internet

How to create a password for wifi

Mezzasalma
contributeur
4 816  

How to create a password for wifi

hi, I do understand a very little French and I didn't find any answer up to now. I wish to put a password to my wifi in order to have it "closed", protected without giving access to people I don't know. How can I do it?

Solutions approuvées
4 780  

Re : How to create a password for wifi

Hello,

Basically, all WiFi on liveboxes are protected by a password at delivery.

To change this :

-connect on your livebox with ethernet (not with Wifi if something goes wrong...) at the address 192.168.1.1 with firefox, internet explorer , etc

-enter your admin id and password (default id is : admin, password is the first 8 digit of the printed serial number on the livebox id sticker if i'm right).

-go to the WiFi tab, where you can change the security key. At home  I changed the livebox default one (26 digits...) by one passphrase with the correct grammar, spaces and punctuation... It seems that for a lot of people writing a password with a correct grammar is something difficult and they don't expect a phrase as password. :robotvery-happy:

-in the same tab, check that the encyption is WPA2-AES or Mixed (at least PKI if you have limited devices)

-in the same tab, change the network id (SSID) instead of Livebox-XXXX write something easy to reproduce but one of your own. Mine is a book title for example.

-Still in the same tab : uncheck the "broadcast SSID" option. This one makes your livebox silent. Otherwise it will broadcast a beacon to help anyone around you to locate your wifi access. You'll need to annouce both the network id AND the access/encryption key to your guest when it is deactivated.

-for more security deactivate WPS (a kind of helper for easy connection key sharing).

-click on [save] and check the summary on the livebox web display.

-Disconnect your ethernet. Check your new connection with your new "stealth" WiFi...

And here : Orange assistance in French (Sorry...)

Regards,

Eric.

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

PhilDur
#TopMembre
#TopMembre
4 671  

Hi mezzasalma

Globally the response of Eric is ok.

Just some details

In ithe admin application, you have to use the "WiF iadvanced settings", my Wifi does not allow modifications.

And I do not agree with :

Eric_Le_Grompf a écrit : ...

-for more security deactivate WPS (a kind of helper for easy connection key sharing).

The Wifi Pairing System is not something unsecure.

It's just a very  simple and efficient tool.

Generally used by devices likes printers or decoders that do not have very comfortable input/output dvices for entering the security key.

WPS is supported by Windows (fron Vista upwards) and is a very usefull feature.

The security is ensured via the need of a physical access to your box, i. e. you need to be in your house to use it. That's why you do not need to know the key.

Best regards

PhilDur

Faites confiance aux produits libres : Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Irfanview, VLC, 7-zip, FileZilla
Votre machine vous en remerciera

Voir la solution dans l'envoi d'origine

9 RÉPONSES 9
Paule
super fan
super fan
4 799  

Traduction du message en français :

salut, je ne comprends très peu le français et je ne trouve aucune réponse jusqu'à présent. Je souhaite mettre un mot de passe à mon wifi afin d'avoir "fermé", protégée sans donner accès à des gens que je ne connais pas. Comment puis-je le faire?

---------------------------

Pour traduire un texte, utilisez Google Traduction. Voici le lien :

https://translate.google.fr/?hl=fr

A +.

4 781  

Hello,

Basically, all WiFi on liveboxes are protected by a password at delivery.

To change this :

-connect on your livebox with ethernet (not with Wifi if something goes wrong...) at the address 192.168.1.1 with firefox, internet explorer , etc

-enter your admin id and password (default id is : admin, password is the first 8 digit of the printed serial number on the livebox id sticker if i'm right).

-go to the WiFi tab, where you can change the security key. At home  I changed the livebox default one (26 digits...) by one passphrase with the correct grammar, spaces and punctuation... It seems that for a lot of people writing a password with a correct grammar is something difficult and they don't expect a phrase as password. :robotvery-happy:

-in the same tab, check that the encyption is WPA2-AES or Mixed (at least PKI if you have limited devices)

-in the same tab, change the network id (SSID) instead of Livebox-XXXX write something easy to reproduce but one of your own. Mine is a book title for example.

-Still in the same tab : uncheck the "broadcast SSID" option. This one makes your livebox silent. Otherwise it will broadcast a beacon to help anyone around you to locate your wifi access. You'll need to annouce both the network id AND the access/encryption key to your guest when it is deactivated.

-click on [save] and check the summary on the livebox web display.

-Disconnect your ethernet. Check your new connection with your new "stealth" WiFi...

And here : Orange assistance in French (Sorry...)

Regards,

Eric.

PhilDur
#TopMembre
#TopMembre
4 672  

Hi mezzasalma

Globally the response of Eric is ok.

Just some details

In ithe admin application, you have to use the "WiF iadvanced settings", my Wifi does not allow modifications.

And I do not agree with :

Eric_Le_Grompf a écrit : ...

The Wifi Pairing System is not something unsecure.

It's just a very  simple and efficient tool.

Generally used by devices likes printers or decoders that do not have very comfortable input/output dvices for entering the security key.

WPS is supported by Windows (fron Vista upwards) and is a very usefull feature.

The security is ensured via the need of a physical access to your box, i. e. you need to be in your house to use it. That's why you do not need to know the key.

Best regards

PhilDur

Faites confiance aux produits libres : Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, Irfanview, VLC, 7-zip, FileZilla
GI92
helper
4 658  

Bonjour,

Si vous êtes capable d'aller sur ce forum c'est que vous comprenez le Français, alors de grace utilisez la langue de Molière!!!!

This forum is under orange.fr no orange.uk!!!!

PhilDur
#TopMembre
#TopMembre
4 638  

Salut @GI92

Bravo ! Je n'aurai qu'un seul mot Bravo !

Tu viens de décrocher la médaille d'or du manque de tact, de l'imbécilité et de la xénophobie réunis.

Ce forum, et c'est l'honneur de ceux qui y postent, il est destiné à tous les utilisateurs des services et produits de l'opérateur Orange et personne n'exige un certificat d'authenticité gauloise et francophone.

J'apprécie quand tu dis "C'est sympa de voir combien on a de l'entraide sur ce forum." et je t'en félicite, mais là non.

Notre pays ne serait pas ce qu'il est sans sa contribution aux autres et sans la contribution des autres chez nous.

Cordialement

PhilDur

GI92
helper
4 633  

Sorry for @Mezzasalma, I had not seen that the does not speak French!

Cela étant @PhilDur essaie de rester correct ce n'est pas la peine de me traiter d'imbécile et de xénophobe, pour le premier qualificatif je ne sais pas, pour le second sûrement pas.

Encore désolé, si j'ai vexé @Mezzasalma, j'avoue ne pas avoir remonté le fil jusqu'au premier message, et donc je n'ai pas vu qu'il ne parle pas le français! mais on voit tellement de gens parler ou ecrire en anglais par pur snobisme!!!

sur ce, bonne journée quand même

PhilDur
#TopMembre
#TopMembre
4 627  

@GI92 a écrit :

Cela étant @PhilDur essaie de rester correct ce n'est pas la peine de me traiter d'imbécile et de xénophobe, pour le premier qualificatif je ne sais pas, pour le second sûrement pas.

Désolé, mais c'est l'acte qui est digne de la triple médaille, je n'ai utilisé aucun terme insultant, ils ont tous un sens français précis qui était bien le fond de ma pensée.

Je vois que ton expression éatit provoquée par une erreur de lecture et tu m'en vois rassuré.

Je n'avais pas l'intention de t'insulter. Ma réaction était, comme la tienne, à la hauteur de ma lecture.

J'ajoute que si tu signales ton post à la modération (lien  à sa gauche) pour leur en demander le retrait, ils peuvent supprimer les miens qui y font suite, celui-ci inclus. En aucun cas je n'interviendrai pour faire supprimer ton post, si tu le souhaites, à toi de voir.

PhilDur

4 604  

Bonjour,

(Some geekism' in french : nothing to panic about !)

@PhilDur

Un petit coup de blog sur le bon usage du WPS surtout quand ce n'est pas le notre. :robotwink: Et ça marchote pas trop mal.

Eric.

PhilDur
#TopMembre
#TopMembre
4 597  

Salut Eric

Je connais farpaitement ce type d'objection, masi pour moi c'est de la tétracapilotomie longitudinale.

Il suffit de garder les pieds sur terre.

Le Wifi, celui d'une box sans ampli ni antennes, ne porte pas plus loin que 30 ou 40m en terrain découvert.

Effectivement le truandage qui consisterait à avoir une machine en mode association permanente est possible, encore faudrait-il avoir un soft modifié, mais passer en mode association, dès que le propriétaire du P/A wifi  active le WPS est une impossibilité statistique, je veux dire que c'est très peu probable ou d'une probabilité très voisine de zéro.

Si le risque existe du fait de logements très proches (immeuble avec des appartements tout petits et pas de cloisonnement en béton, ni de plancher en béton) on peut imaginer que certaines box seraient accessibles sur 5 étages, avec 8 ou 10 appartements par étages une box pourrait desservir 50 appartements. Le propriétaire de la box n'utiliserait pas le WPS.

Le mec du blog, imagine que personne ne s'inquiéterait de savoir si la connexion est bien réalisée avec la machine souhaitée ou avec une autre, si c'est le cas, le mec il ne mettrait même pas de clé à son wifi, il ne mettrait pas de partage protégé par mot de passe, ....

Ca me fait un peu penser à la chauve-souris de Bigard ....

L'article du blog relève du geek qui joue à se faire peur.

Le meilleur pare-feu, c'est l'homme !

C'est un peu pareil ici, le WPS n'est pas dangereux en lui-même ; son utilisation sans réfléchir peut avoir des conséquences facheuses,...

Faut pas pousser, la parano ; le WPS est moins dangereux que le webmail et pourtant le webmail est d'un usage bien plus fréquent que le WPS. Là, oui il y a une grande marge de progrès à réaliser.

Cordialement

PhilDur

Vous avez une question ?

Interrogez la communauté

Déjà 752967 membres inscrits 🧡

3376 personnes actuellement en ligne

Tous les membres en ligne